The post quoted below reveals a confusion between providing references, as in
technical or scholarly writing, and the simple requirement to enclose copied
and pasted material from the internet in quotes, with a link to the website
from where it is lifted. Those who place pilfered text verbatim in their posts,
creating the impression that it is their own, are taking a huge risk. No amount
of miscued excuses like those in the post below will protect them.

Cheers,

Santosh

--- On Fri, 7/30/10, Gilbert Lawrence <gilbert2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi Venatius,
>
>I read your recent interesting post on this thread (I think) requesting
>references.  Your's has been a  POLITE and WELL >ARTICULATED article >making
>the case to provide references in posts.  So >I extend you the >courtesy of a
>polite response in requesting you to consider the following >points.
>

>1. Writing a response to a post on goanet (or in a blog) is like writing >a
>letter-to-the-editor. By-and-large, do you see any references in >letters
>to-the-editor published in Goan, Indian or international >newspapers and
>magazines?

* * *

Encounter hints (and more) of the Goan life in Zanzibar, Poona, Mombasa, Basra,
Dubai, and even Nuvem and Colva, Sanvordem and colonial Goa. Learn of
experiences that shaped Goans worldwide. Selma Carvalho's *Into the Diaspora
Wilderness* now available at Broadways Book Centre, Panjim [Ph +91-9822488564]
Ask a friend to buy it, before it gets sold out. Price (in Goa only) Rs 295.
http://selmacarvalho.squarespace.com/

* * *