On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 7:39 AM, Anshuman Aggarwal <
anshuman.aggar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Lucas.
>
> Can anybody suggest an easy way to install the minimal install while
> running another version of linux (Ubuntu) in another partition? I want
> Gobo to be my main Linux OS (not just a side project in a Virtual
> Environment) in the long run but need to minimize or eliminate
> downtime?
>
> Secondly after the minimal install,could I just chroot and continue
> Compile while running Ubuntu as the main linux?
>
> If I could parallely run both, it would make migration and acceptance
> of Gobo in my environment much easier. Since I am primarily using it
> as a ServerOS, it should be much easier to do this.

What I do sometimes is the opposite (install GoboLinux while leaving behind
the old OS and the ability to chroot to that OS when needed). The steps
should be similar to the ones listed below:

(1) boot from the LiveCD
(2) mount the partition with the existing Linux OS at e.g. /Mount/Old
(3) move existing files to a backup directory:
    $ mkdir /Mount/Old/Backup
    $ mv /Mount/Old/* /Mount/Old/Backup
    $ umount /Mount/Old
(4) run the GoboLinux Installer. When asked, make sure the "Format
partition" option is *not* selected and also request it to skip the
installation of a bootloader.
(5) before rebooting, remount the partition again and move files around one
more time:
    $ cd /Mount/Old
    $ mkdir GoboLinux
    $ mv * GoboLinux
    $ mv GoboLinux/Backup/* .
    $ rmdir GoboLinux/Backup
    $ cd /
    $ umount /Mount/Old

After that you should be able to reboot into your existing OS and chroot to
GoboLinux when you like it. You'll just need to bind-mount /proc at
/GoboLinux/proc + /GoboLinux/System/Kernel/Status, /dev at /GoboLinux/dev +
/GoboLinux/System/Kernel/Devices, and /sys at /GoboLinux/sys +
/GoboLinux/System/Kernel/Objects before jumping in.

Hope this helps.
Lucas