On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 10:49 AM, Anshuman Aggarwal <
anshuman.aggar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> around

> chroot

> >> I think you misunderstood my requirement. I have a completley spare
> >> primary disk/partition for Gobolinux and want it to be bootable so I
> >> can boot into Gobo Linux directly and eventually make it my primary
> >> Linux distro.
> >>

> > Oh, I totally misunderstood it, indeed.
> >

> >> The problem is: I would like to avoid the initial downtime on my
> >> server machine. Two downtimes I forsee:
> >>
> >> First (small one) Initial boot into the USB LiveCD to install the
> >> minimal onto a partition. Just curious to know if I could trick the
> >> LiveCD or use another mechanism to get the minimal install over to the
> >> partition and make it bootable while still booted into and running my
> >> current Ubuntu install?? Doesn't really matter because this would be a
> >> half hour step in the worst case. Should I just use Ubuntu LiveCD
> >> maker or is there a different way required for the Gobo Linux LiveCD?
> >>
> >> Second (larger downtime) Waiting for all the required packages to
> >> Compile and fixing any issues with drivers etc ...this could last half
> >> a day or more and that would definitely not work. I can probably use
> >> the chroot steps and bind the relevant partitions like you mentioned
> >> but I was wondering if anything special is required given that there
> >> is a Kernel patch for Gobo? I believe that patch is not critical and
> >> only hides certain files but still there could be other issues with
> >> symlinks and chroot.
> >

> > I believe you can do this installation through QEMU by letting it use a
> raw
> > partition rather than a virtual disk as target. I haven't used that
> option
> > before, but I know it is possible to do so. That should prevent your
> server
> > from going down while you're preparing GoboLinux.
>
> Good idea. I assume the same holds for KVM and native partitions. In
> the end it may not be worth the trouble since the minimal install over
> USB stick should be pretty quick and will minimize unnecessary
> complications but hey that's the power of linux...anything is possible
> :)
> >
> > We include two patches in our kernel. The first is to hide the legacy
> tree
> > (gobohide). That is totally cosmetic. The second is to support the AuFS
> file
> > system. We use it primarily on the LiveCD to create a unionfs-based root
> > file system. Having it at runtime provides you with a reasonably fast
> > sandbox when compiling apps from the source code. If you don't have it
> then
> > we fall back to a FUSE-based unionfs implementation which also works just
> > fine.
>
> UnionFS over FUSE has definite performance penalties. Have we
> considered OverlayFS? It seems to be integrated in the Kernel and is
> expected to be as fast as AuFS if not faster.

I did look at OverlayFS back in the day, but it was not mainline yet. Also,
the patch sets did not implement support for a few things that we depended
on. We do some quite fancy things on the LiveCD (such as bind-mounting
unions and expecting a union-mount to preserve any existing mounts in the
braches given as input). It would be a lot of work on our LiveCD scripts to
remove such assertions, so AuFS was chosen. We may want to revisit that on
the next release cycle.

> My apologies since I haven't been able to go through the mailing lists
> (quite tedious in the absence of a proper search in mailman or at
> least one that I could see ?). On that note, does it make sense to
> move/copy mailing lists at Google Groups...I know its proprietary and
> all that but it is a really good tool for communicating and will not
> take away from the core of linux or gobo etc. and make communications
> much faster.

We have done so many service transitions in the past and it's always been a
PITA. Myself, I would not have time (nor much personal interest, to be
frank) in doing so. We'd also need to hear from other devs before commiting
to do such a move.

Lucas