On Wednesday, 29 June 2016 01:51:58 UTC+3, Mandolyte wrote:

> Earlier someone asked about real world examples. The obvious standard
> library was mentioned. It only took me a few seconds to remember Jan
> Mercl's interval package. A quick look suggests that the current 1200+
> lines of code would be reduced to about 250.

I'm not sure what application would require that full extent of the
interval package. Currently the only thing I see importing it was
https://godoc.org/github.com/cznic/wm, but it only used only one func from
it... so the whole package could be replaced with ~10 lines.

So the problem is that I don't know a real-world use-case for that package
-- hence I cannot judge it's API design and quality. Sure the interval
package might be necessary, but is there a simpler design? Is the
genericness of that package even warranted?  How would it affect user code
by making it generic. Are there alternate designs? Should it implement a
tree instead?

If this sort of code is written very often, the "prove it to me" argument