On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 10:29:37 AM UTC-4, Henry wrote:
> You still haven't provided any argument why generics is indispensable.

That can't be the litmus for language feature inclusion; if it was, Go would
resemble ASM.

In my personal experience, something North of 50% of my non-trivial
applications could have been more simple with some form of generics allowing me
to reduce code duplication. In particular, any application dealing with
demarshaling of data from a large set of similar functions (e.g. web calls) are
good examples. Have 30 functions to make the same web calls and perform the
same demarshaling calls -- especially where the web call may be more complex,
as in a SOAP call -- does not make the code cleaner, easier to cognitively
parse, or more safe. Indeed, in almost every such case, generics reduce code
duplication and make the code safer from bugs, and easier to maintain.

Indispensable? That's subjective, and very few language features satisfy that
requirement. For me, the strongest argument against it is that if the core Go
team can't think of a way to implement it cleanly and efficiently, then I trust
it's a hard problem. I'm sure they've looked at it; it must be the single most
commonly requested, hashed-over, and proposal-backed feature.

--- SER