Exactly - and systems do not typically have this - yet are considered secure.
If the plain text is ever available - and it almost always is (in the original
input component, etc.) it is always subject to attack/hack - and as far as I am
aware without hardware support (dongle, etc.) this is a limitation of all
security implementations.

You don’t always need the plain text though, you can store the one way hash (as
in Http Digest security), and use that, so if the store is compromised the
users known passwords are not discovered - but it doesn’t mean access won’t be
granted.

As far as I know - even ‘keychain access’ in osx (used in millions of systems)
would be subject to similar hack to if root was available and memory could be
scanned.