Maybe, but still, if they have root access to your machine, they can just as
easily alter the accessing binary to send the decoded password elsewhere after
it has decoded it…

Which is why applications on osx are “signed” (to prohibit tampering) (although
if you have root access - you could probably also add the bogus singing cert to
the certificate store). As far as I know Linux and its variants don’t enforced
signed binaries.

I only point this out because you give the impression that because you “use a
hardware device” it is secure - this is not really the case.

Security is always a trade-off.