On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 7:43 AM 'Carla Pfaff' via golang-nuts
<golang-nuts@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 21 August 2020 at 14:57:13 UTC+2 bbse...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> interface{}, when used as a constraint, doesn't mean than the value
>> has to be an interface{}, it means the value can be anything.
>> interface{}, when used as a value, doesn't mean that the value can be
>> anything, it means that the value is an interface, and you have to get
>> the value from that interface. Different uses, different identifiers.
>

> The same is true for "interface{String() string}" as a constraint and
> "interface{String() string}" as a type.
> Does that mean that you want to allow the identifier "fmt.Stringer" only for
> constraints, but not for types?

All constraints except "any" specify a constraint for the type. A
Stringer constraint will ensure that the type has String() string
method. "any" is a lack of constraint. I think the two concepts are
different. My problem is the attractiveness of "any" as a return type.
I can live with it, but I expect to see more questions raised about
functions returning "any" values behaving weird in a nil-check.