Well not Java. Android is also not Java. This is the beginning of
fragmentation if Appengine is allowed to go down this road. Seemingly
Sun struck some deal with Google. I doubt any other company would get
the same liberties.

Could you give an example of classes in the JRE lib that would be a
stability risk and an explanation why that is?

I give a simple example that is not possible with this whitelist. We
just tried to add an image caption to an image. Loading images is
impossible. Doing anything with fonts as well. I have like half a
dozen other scenarios where appengine just fails. If you are in the
middle of a project and realize that a certain feature is not
achievable just drives you crazy.
The argument that one should check before using appengine is moot. I
checked. Most projects however 'develop' over time and need features
nobody could have possibly foreseen.