Jago...in shared environments you can't let apps launch their own
threads, you can't let apps takeover file systems, etc...these are
basic principles for shared resources such as GAE and, for example,
contradicts J2EE specs such as EJB and so on.  Such apps belong on
dedicated servers.

Also, loading of images to datastore is possible with VFS...as far as
editing images, I don't know.

Ted... java.lang.Thread, you want to launch new processes from within
your app server...that's a job for URLFetch.

Anyhow, I was just curious at what you couldn't do...good to share
that with the community in case they know something you don't.  As far
as the naming goes, you may be the first to raise this concern in
GAE's existence (2 years or so).