I'm also still seeing this issue.  I have an open ticket here:
http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=2931 but
it's not getting much attention :)

Anyways, I've seen this as encouragement to make my startup time much
more efficient, so I guess that's a good thing :)  My remaining issue
is that there is a delay (2-10 seconds) between the initial request
and when my servlet filter is initialized.  Unless I'm mistaken, I
have no control over that.

Jake