I don't really get it....
We do not restart the server at all.
We start the GWT developtment mode which causes to start our server,
then we open the client app in chrome.
The channel is created after a certain user action happens.
Afterwards the channel should be available and the client should
receive certain notifications (which doesn't happen.)
However, as already mentioned, the channel is indeed created by the
server and the server has no problems sending messages. Nevertheless
the client seems to be unable to connect to that channel.