First, what version of the SDK are you using? It looks like you're
using something before 1.5.0 (based on the text of the error message)
-- can you try with 1.5.0?

Basically the logic that's happening here is:

 - the application calls create channel
 - the dev appserver gins up a token consisting of a random string
plus the application-provided client id
 - the dev appserver adds this token to a hashmap of token -> clientid
 - the dev appserver returns the token

Later, when the client connects, this happens:

 - the client makes a post to /_ah/channel/dev?
command=connect&channel={{token}}
 - the dev appserver intercepts this request and looks up the
"channel" query param in the hashmap of token -> clientid

What seems to be happening in your case is that the dev appserver
can't extract the "channel" query param based on the "application key
is null" error. All I can think of is that there's something in the
token that's preventing the query params from being parsed correctly.
As a test, can you try simplifying your client id? (I can't read the
whole thing because Groups thinks it's an email address and elides it)