A FYI about alternating versions for deployment to production...

Our build script names the version according data from SVN (GIT would
be similar), as a working copy (name = data and time), revision
(name=r123), or tag (name = tag name = our release version number).

Then the uploaded versions in appengine Dashboard all show either with
their release number (or revision, or date).
You can have up to 10 of them uploaded in production, working against
production data - but just one as the 'default'...

On doing a new release/deploy to production (after previously testing
on another appid in integration and qa), we test the basics via the
specific version url....if everything looks fine we then make the new
version the default.

If something goes wrong, you can quickly sqitch back to any of the
previous 9 releases you have made, usually the penultimate one off
course.