Thanks all, the verdict then is to try the datastore first. The tiles
will be refreshed on a regular basis (probably every 24 hours) using
an application outside the GAE, so the reliability and speed of the
bulk uploader will be an important factor. The last time I tried the
bulk uploader I found it would fail occassionally - perhaps it's more
reliable now.

Otherwise, I'll give Amazon's S3 a try.