Hi Aral,

Your "25% ready for primetime" certainly depends on what criteria you
are basing your decisions on. I personally disagree, but my needs are
possibly very different. My number one requirement is scalability. For
that I give it two thumbs up, and for everything else I'm willing to
adapt to achieve that one goal.

If I wanted to put a 2MB file on App Engine and couldn't, I certainly
wouldn't knock App Engine 25% for it.  (Although I think I can. Simply
by splitting the file and concatenating the blobs as I write the
response.)

To me it also sounds like you're knocking App Engine on some points
without profiling live code with real world usage.

You say: "In my tests, I've found that the high CPU limit can be
randomly triggered even in calls that return within a second. To tell
you the truth, I don't actually know what causes these."

If you don't know what causes the problems, then find out?  Is it in
your code?  Is it a datastore put timeout?  Profile it?

Also, make sure you run tests that are accurate representations of
real world usage patterns and curves.  Typically the guard mechanisms
kick in when devs run tests that jump from 0 calls to 1000 calls per
second, without any kind of ramp up.  That's not a good representation
of real world usage.

In terms of the offsets, etc. Personally it's not a big deal for me.
Once I had a better understanding of the architecture it became more
obvious why certain limitations are in place. Those limitations are
the reason why this platform can scale so beautifully.

-Dave