On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Josh Heitzman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    * GAE can't not tell you how many total entities there are of a
> specific type and it can't count more then 1000 entities.
>    * GAE limits the entities that can be processed in a single
> transaction to those in the same entity group and only one request
> processing instance can write to an entire entity group at a time.

I fail to see how either of these could be implemented in a truly
scalable and distributed system such as App Engine. The data is
potentially spread over thousands of machines, so any kind of global
co-ordination (needed for both entity counts and transactions) would
require a single machine to be "in charge", and hence the scaling
would be limited to that machine's capacity.

If you care about counting the number of a particular kind or all
kinds, simply increment a sharded counter each time you add an entity.
That would scale very well, and give you quick access to totals.

Dave.