Aral, your blog entry clearly outlines some major issues, so thanks
for posting it.

Here are my thoughts on the issues:

1) 1 MB limit
It's a problem if python variables also have this limit.  I was not
aware of that.  I have been using external resources (Scribd and
Amazon S3) to store larger items like documents.  This is similar to
the way Amazon wants you to use their SimpleDB but at least App Engine
datastore has more headroom.

2) The 1000 limit offset
I typically have created_at and updated_at time fields for each
entity.  Couldn't you page through all your items by sorting on the
created_at property, fetching the first n+1 records, then fetching
additional records using >= the timestamp for the n+1th record?  Of
course, you'd have to put in some code to check for duplicates or use
a secondary property as part of the sort.

3) Short-term high CPU quotas
Yeah, I'm not sure how these are computed or what might trip it.
Hopefully this gets resolved and/or clarified.

4) Quotas in general.
I generally agree but think we should cut Google some slack.  This is
a preview mode.  You're a pioneer and you're taking some arrows with
your app :)  When pay-as-you-go gets initiated, hopefully soon, the
major quotas go away with your credit card.  As a counter-point, you
can read Dave's commentary on how he's scaled BuddyPoke (http://
groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/msg/2449df5e53b5f026).

5) Long-running processes.
I agree and the App Engine developers know this is a need.  I believe
they are working on it.

6) 25% ready for primetime
Depends on your app and need for processing across a large number of
records.

I absolutely, completely, emphatically agree with you that shoring up
the deficiencies should be prioritized over adding new languages.
Hopefully the development team agrees and isn't swayed by the relative
number of stars in the App Engine issues.  (Can I remove my star from
the Ruby request?)
-Bill