On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Kannaiyan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We need to have a smart way of maintaining versions.
> What if Google Upgrades the version of Python Intrepreter to a higher
> version when the code is written for lower version?

Runtime environments are versioned, and you control which version your app
uses in the app.yaml configuration file.  Right now, there is only one
version of the Python runtime: 1.  Changes made to an existing version of
the runtime environment are intended to be backwards compatible.  If there
is ever a non-backwards compatible change, it will be released in a new
version of the runtime.  When a new version of the runtime is released, an
app will continue to use the original version until the app owner changes
the app.yaml file.

The biggest example of this would be upgrading Python itself.  Version 1 of
the runtime uses Python 2.5.  If App Engine were to support a later version
of Python, it would have to be in a later version of the runtime
environment.  You wouldn't want the version of the Python language to change
automatically.

Upgrading an app to a new runtime environment is likely to be non-trivial
for everyone, so it's better if new non-backwards compatible versions are
few and far between.  This is one of many reasons you don't want lots of
libraries bundled with the runtime.  Consider that the runtime bundles
Django 0.96; updating this to Django 1.0 would require a new version of the
runtime.  I'd recommend to anyone wanting to use Django on App Engine to add
Django 1.0 to their app instead of using the bundled 0.96 and waiting for a
new version of the runtime.  Thankfully, this is easy to do.

> What happens if there is a bug (BETA) in GData module and the website
> is not updated with that gdata update.

It sounds like you're asking about what would happen if we bundled the GData
library in the runtime, and a bug were discovered in the library.  In this
case, if the bug fix is backwards compatible, the library would be upgraded
in place with a minor release of the runtime environment, and all apps using
that version of the runtime would see the fix automatically, just as with
fixes in the API libraries.

-- Dan