On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Kannaiyan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As a software developer I would allow users to reuse the same code. I
> won't make million copies of the same code. (If used by millions of
> people). If Python does not allow such sharing model, then the
> language is a total CRAP.

Bundling a bunch of libraries with the runtime environment could be a bad
idea in the long run.  For example, consider the case where version 1 of the
runtime environment includes version 1.0 of module A and version 1.0 of
module B, and you write an app that uses these modules.  Then later, App
Engine releases version 2 of the runtime environment, which includes version
2.0 of module A and version 2.0 of module B.  Perhaps your app is
incompatible with module A v2.0 and would take several weeks to port, but
there's nothing in A v2.0 that you need so you'd prefer to just stay with A
v1.0.  But you desperately need a feature in module B v2.0.

Thankfully, in Python it's easy to stay with version 1 of the runtime
environment then add your own copy of B v2.0 to your app.  But you can
imagine that with many modules and many versions, this could get extremely
difficult to manage very quickly, and you'll soon be including all of your
dependencies with your app.

Bundled libraries make it easy to get started, and it's a good suggestion
for App Engine to include the gdata library with the runtime as a starting
point.  Feel free to create an issue in the issue tracker for this.  But
beyond getting started, you probably won't want to use bundled libraries.

-- Dan