"May be there's a better way to do it" is a very annoying answer.
Perhaps, there is, but that was not the question asked.

Empathise with the asker, pardon him/her for expressing some
frustration and just say whether it can be done and otherwise provide
and alternative.
- Understand the question.
- Don't second guess the intent of the question.
- Refrain from reflecting our emotional attachment to the product.
- Just answer the question without further ado.
- If not possible, humbly confess that the product is not meant to
work the way the asker wants and then only suggest an alternative.

Very often, the asker is facing constraints that we, but not the
asker, have the liberty to avoid.