hi all

andrew - that is quick but I don't see it as quick as GAE spawning a
new request handler (~1 second) on a machine somewhere in their
cluster. I guess it's just a different model, autoscaling at the
request level vs. the machine level.

EBS - I recognize that NFS (or something similar) would work but I
could not find anyone using it when they needed to place database
files on EBS (for performance reasons). please let me know if you find
anything that works. that being said, how would I host a large DB on
EC2 where I would likely need more then a single instance to handle
spikes in traffic? from people i've talked to, you can run the DB
locally on the instance but it's gone when it dies and the bigger the
DB, the longer the startup which affected how they auto-scaled

security - greg's comments above should not be overlooked, the
flexibility of EC2 comes with the headaches as well

thanks for all the input, I'm still not sure which is the best
platform but its always good to hear everyone thoughts

also, I did look at SimpleDB and it does seem very robust (and based
on this post [1], quite performant as well). One thing that was
missing that I currently need is Text/Blob attributes. You could use
SDB for the simple attribute queries and S3 for the Text/Blob storage
but then you obviously need the second query. Something to keep an eye
on though, thanks

cheers
brian

[1] -http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2008-06-29-high-performance-