> I think the scaling issue here is understated. Compared to traditional
> scaling strategies that organizations use to perform, GAE provides
> alot of transparency. The premise of GAE is to put focus on
> development of applications. Thus, GAE is more developer focused. EC2
> is a more general solution. Furthermore, I imagine instantiating more
> VMs is a form of network administration that doesn't exist in GAE ...

I wouldn't assume this yet, as I'm sure you'll have to perform some
sort of verification/configuration to 'scale up' with GAE also.
Google likely wont just let your app spike though all the funds in
your bank account - you'll have to login to some kind of console to
configure how much resources you want to pay for.  EC2 has the same
thing basically - you just go to a web page and control how many
instances are running.

> unless your application is so advanced that it comes with logic to
> efficiently instantiate and shutdown VMs on its own.

There are already free utilities that do this with EC2 it seems.