The process of creating a toy application to test its limits can be
interesting in and of itself.  It obviously isn't necessary to
understand the limitations and advantages of GAE, but one might also
learn something.  For me, experimenting with how GAE can scale has
been an interesting thought experiment.

All the best,

~ David