It seems to me that Windows Azure is a direct challenge for GAE. At
equal capabilities and pricing, it would be a hard sell to tell any
corporate user that they need to use a Google platform over a
Microsoft platform

Now, if you are building a customer facing application from scratch,
that doesn't matter. If you intend to be an ISV to businesses, the
mere perception makes the difference.

There is also the explicit statement from Microsoft that they will
make it easier to do aggregates over distributed databases, which is
the core of any reporting tool. They also said they aim to make
analytics possible over time. The industry might find that credible,
since Microsoft did it before with SQL Server and is "simply" running
a distribution layer over SQL Server. Not a trivial problem, but
perhaps a lesser problem than the one Google is facing. It hand has to
come up with a scheme that allows Big Table to expand to areas it was
not intended for, and in particular the ability to query data on any
set of parameter, and summing/counting the results. Maybe this
underdog position and clean slate allows Google to find new ways, more
search-based, ultimately easier to use. I truely hope so. Meanwhile,
Azure is not really yet available.

Filip.