Java as a language vs. Python as a language?  Both are serious
languages that can get the job done.  The real advantage of Java is
that just about any component you care to think of has already been
done in Java.   Python is not there yet and what is worse is that the
concept of "pure python" is rather new and so many components are
actually wrappers at the moment and so won't work on GAE.   Java is
infinitely more suitable for the ultimate goal of the GAE which is to
provide a scalable sandbox in the cloud.  For reasons known only to
those in Mountain View Python was chosen instead.  No problem we can
deal with it but I still can't for the life of me understand why.