I didn't know Python when I started, but I like it now :-)

Google App Engine w/Python was a great excuse for me to learn another
language.

I program in VB.NET and some C# at work (by the way, VB.NET is the
best and you'll never find anything better... you can take that to the
bank), but I am looking forward to Java on GAE as well.  It will be
another great excuse to venture into a different language.

Here's a Java book that I'm reading now and I have to say... it's
wonderful; a pure joy:

http://www.bookdope.com/Book/Head-First-Java-2nd-Edition-by-Kathy-Sierra/isbn/0596009208

Oh, and I'm just kidding about VB.NET being the best ever; I think
it's hilarious to talk about computer programming languages with great
affection.

Dale