Argh!

This means that one form (db.Key) is smaller than the other
(comparable string) for the datastore while the reverse is true for
memcache.

How about defining a __getstate__ and __setstate__ for db.Key that is
smaller than the string equivalent?  This will help for memcaching any
db.Model instance whose .key() is defined.