I posted an issue for making it easier for developers to do their own
testing with disabled capabilities:

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=1811

Having inconsistent data could lead to problems that lingered for a
long time, particularly since memcache will be out of sync, I think,
so you made the right call on not rolling over quickly.