THAT is what we needed - thanks Chris for giving a detailed
description of the cause, resolution and follow-up. No-one likes
writing these things because they are basically detailing your own
failures, so Chris (and Google) deserve kudos for releasing this.

One of the frustrating things about Appengine is the paucity of
information about it. There is no reliable information about it's
architecture, the number of real applications that use it, or even the
requests per second it processes. It is easy to imagine that it
actually runs on a couple of boxes under someone's desk, and that this
incident was caused by the cleaner knocking the power cord.

So in fronting up about the cause of the outage, Google have actually
reassured me about their whole system. Now I know there are serious
monitoring systems in place, real people (SREs) onsite at 6:44am,
backup datacentres, and some serious decision-making skills in charge
(recognising data consistency is more important that uptime). You have
shown that you followed through with a detailed incident analysis and
have learned more about your system - and how it could be better. A
is, but to some extent I don't care if I know Google is learning from
each outage. That means uptime will trend in the right direction.

Please give us similarly detailed post-mortems in the future. We've
trusted you with our apps, please trust us with more information.
It'll also go a long way to answering the accusations of opaqueness
surrounding appengine - the Register's jibes about the "Chocolate
Factory" are close to the bone. And I'd love to know how many requests
per second you process...