Hi!

This is a quick suggestion.

How about using a global counter (just like your title suggests). You
can use a sharded global counter to facilitate your counting.

And use that counter as a "timestamp" / bookmark.

On every "event", you read from the global counter, use that value as
your "timestamp", and then increment the global counter.

I'm not sure of it's implications, though. I'm not also sure if it
actually guarantees uniqueness of "timestamps" when two events happen
almost at the same time.

Perhaps you can get an idea from this.

Enjoy!