Thanks for the advice, Nick.  I'd still like to know more about the
consistency model though.  For example, I wonder if there's any
guarantee that two transactions on different entity groups executed by
one process in a given order will be observed in the same order.  I
suspect the answer is no.  I'm starting to think that the "GAE takes
care of the messy details of distributed systems programming" claim is
a bit overstated...

Cheers,
-n8