Hi,

    There is "some" truth to it.  One thing the article does highlight
is that you have to write things the appengine way.  For people coming
from a RDBMS background thats a hard thing to swallow.   The counter
example for instance.   The GAE team recommends a sharded approach to
it.  Yep that sounds great but at the prototyping phase you certainly
would be hardpressed to be doing this kind of optimisation or even
thinking about it when your first priority is to throw things and see
what sticks.

   My personal gripe is the ludicrous amount of time it takes on
clearing a database.  Again I cannot see why a single "clear
production datastore" wast available.  It took me about 2 days to
delete a million records (i had reached the free limits by then).
Using (10) threads came down to about 16 hours.  Not sure if it was
"me" or just that the threads were thrashing the system but even if
the time came down to 3 hours thats a unnecessarily large amount of
time just to clear a gigabyte of data (indexes and all).  Yes I agree
that a well engineered system should not have to delete data at all
and migration/model evolution should be simple and planned for.  But
again when prototyping what are you trying to focus on?  By the way
the 2 million records was actually test data not exactly production
data either.

   The problem comes down what is your alternative in the price
range?

cheers
Sri