That's interesting you mention Erlang: I was working on building an
Erlang based App Cluster around the time when AppEngine was announced/
released.  You can achieve a much higher handlers/cpu or handlers/
memory density using Erlang because each handler is a green thread
with cheap context switching, each handler/process costs as little as
200 bytes of system memory, and system libraries can loaded once into
memory and shared between all apps because Erlang is a functional
programming language.  The thing that made me trade Erlang for
AppEngine was having access to BigTable.

AppEngine has numerous features (simple deployment, load balancing,
dynamic scalability), but the main benefit is access to a scalable
database; BigTable provides seamless multi-master database writes.  If
a developer has never considered the challenges of scaling database
write throughput, then they would not realize how much time AppEngine
will save them in designing and hosting a truly scalable web
application.

Robin