There are some grains for truth, however he fails to detail the effort
you need to put in to build a moderatley reliable system let alone one
that can with stand
multiple failures.

That alone is worth the price of admission.

Try building a linux ha cluster with load balancing, failover and
replicated database.

Its not easy and requires a lot of expertise.

Even with all the tools in EC2 its not a simple task,

I personally don't have a problem with the non sql nature of the
environment , I only occasionally use SQL for things over the
last 10 years,