Hi Nick,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not quite at the upload point, I'm
interested right now in pulling down data from the app engine.

Since I am using Java, your advice on Stack Overflow and your blog has
been very helpful.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1346632/how-do-i-put-data-into-the-datastore-of-googles-app-engine
http://blog.notdot.net/2009/9/Advanced-Bulk-Loading-Part-5-Bulk-Loading-for-Java

Following the articles, I was able to use bulkloader to download data!

However I would like to get the data in CSV format -- so I turned to
appcfg.py download_data, as per the instructions on:
http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/python/tools/uploadingdata.html

When I run this command I notice two things:

1) I am told --app_id is not a recognized option (which the
documentation leads me to believe is supposed to work)
2) (removing the --app_id) I am told there is a syntax error in my
app.yaml file (but the application deployed just fine)

My app.yaml file is the same as the example you posted on your blog
(except for the app name of course)

My error is posted below.

Is the issue that I also need to define my models for download as I
would need to for upload?

Best,
Jeff

appcfg.py download_data --kind=Video_ --url=http://
upload.latest.idolornot-dev.appspot.com/remote_api --
filename=videos.csv --config_file=../idolornot-dev-empty/app.yaml ../
idolornot-dev-empty/

/usr/local/bin/appcfg.py:41: DeprecationWarning: the sha module is
deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
  os.path.join(DIR_PATH, 'lib', 'antlr3'),
Downloading data records.
[INFO    ] Logging to bulkloader-log-20090929.132804
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/appcfg.py", line 60, in <module>
    run_file(__file__, globals())
  File "/usr/local/bin/appcfg.py", line 57, in run_file
    execfile(script_path, globals_)
  File "/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/
GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine/
google/appengine/tools/appcfg.py", line 2525, in <module>
    main(sys.argv)
  File "/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/
GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine/
google/appengine/tools/appcfg.py", line 2516, in main
    result = AppCfgApp(argv).Run()
  File "/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/
GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine/
google/appengine/tools/appcfg.py", line 1640, in Run
    self.action(self)
  File "/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/
GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine/
google/appengine/tools/appcfg.py", line 2404, in __call__
    return method()
  File "/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/
GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine/
google/appengine/tools/appcfg.py", line 2270, in PerformDownload
    run_fn(args)
  File "/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/
GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine/
google/appengine/tools/appcfg.py", line 2192, in RunBulkloader
    sys.exit(bulkloader.Run(arg_dict))
  File "/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/
GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine/
google/appengine/tools/bulkloader.py", line 3807, in Run
    return _PerformBulkload(arg_dict)
  File "/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/
GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine/
google/appengine/tools/bulkloader.py", line 3630, in _PerformBulkload
    LoadConfig(config_file)
  File "/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/
GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine/
google/appengine/tools/bulkloader.py", line 3380, in LoadConfig
    ('', 'r', imp.PY_SOURCE))
  File "../idolornot-dev-empty/app.yaml", line 1
    application: idolornot-dev
               ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax