I found part of my answer in a previous thread
http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine/browse_thread/thread/f61b11f7c1871ed0#

It seems that the url I was requesting didn't exist - which you can
identify by inspecting the stack trace for the 404.

But the --dump option is failing as follows.

I am trying to dump the data created in a Java app engine
application.  So, I have two versions of the app - the live java
version and the python version that hosts /remote_api .  (this caused
the url confusion)

I succeeded with authenticating a request to the python remote_api (in
version 'bulkload') with this:

bulkloader.py --dump --filename=my-new-archive.csv --kind=MyClass --
url=http://bulkload.latest.myappid.appspot.com/remote_api ./

however, the request failed with the error:
[ERROR   ] Error in Thread-1: app myappid cannot access app
bulkload.latest.myappid's data

My app.yaml file looks like this

application: myappid
version: bulkload
runtime: python
api_version: 1

handlers:
- url: /remote_api
  script: $PYTHON_LIB/google/appengine/ext/remote_api/handler.py
  login: admin

Any idea what I am doing wrong?
thanks
-ben