I fear we are in a destructive cycle:
  - Cold starts take a long time (many seconds)
  - So app developers set up auto-pings to keep their app warm
  - So Google gets more aggressive in cycling out instances
  - So app developers increase their ping frequency
  - So even popular apps constantly hit cold starts
  - So GAE becomes unusable for all

I have personally held off doing any auto-pings because I felt it was
"wrong", and bad for the common good.  But cold starts have gotten
slower, and my app seems to get cycled out even more aggressively of
late (just a few seconds).

It would be nice to ask everyone to stop auto-pinging, but there's no
way to enforce it, and history has shown that the tragedy of the
commons is hard to avoid.

I see only 2 ways out:
  -- Make cold starts much faster (perhaps by pre-compiling the code?)
  -- Somehow associate enough cost that auto-pingers will stop
         I have no idea how to do this.
         Even if you ping every 3 seconds, that's still only 30K page
views per day
         People with no traffic could ping every single second and
never pay anything

So, at a minimum, perhaps pre-compiling the code is a good first
start?