In a separate thread, someone from Google confirmed that they compile
all the files from scratch with each load.

Speeding up cold starts is clearly the best solution, but I don't know
how much time pre-compiling would save.  Paying for warm instances may
help, but because anyone can auto-ping every second, the tragedy of
the commons will still proceed to its inevitable conclusion, causing
tremendous thrashing.