John, sure it is something worth trying. My experience tells me that
an other handler usually means a new instance, but then again you have
when the part using Django will be cold started in a brand new
instance when needed, even though an instance is already running. So
it all depends on your usage pattern - what part is running more
frequently etc.
One approach  is to initiate a cold start of the heavy instance
through a ping through js once you feel your user is probably going to
request this heavy Django driven page.
i.e. a timeout function in your landing page.  This is more green and
economic solution than pinging in constant intervals.
For some info  on instance lifetime you can take a look at
http://gaengine.blogspot.com/2009/09/server-instance-life-time-part-ii.html

Happy coding