Maybe I'm a bit confused by the original question, but I always viewed
the ability to hide source code as a major plus for using appengine.
For independent developers, who don't have access to IP lawyers, this
enables them to avoid the piracy problem entirely.  I think the
scenario he mentioned, explicitly repackaging and reselling the
appengine service itself might be a violation, but does this extend to
every such case?

To be more exact, do you think it's a TOS violation to sell the
deployment of an application as a "service"?  You aren't transferring
any rights, as the customer has full capabilities to replace your
deployment with his/her own code and is the only party who deals with
App Engine billing (if the issue arises).  The benefit of this is that
you could write the code to "expire" after a time period and therefore
sell subscriptions without worrying about someone violating your
license.  I'm considering this for a future application, so I'd be
very interested to hear more..

Thanks