Not a good choice because the one that pays the bill is not the one
that writes the source code.
I'm not paying for the storage requirement and bandwidth of my client
who has bought a use right of my software.

I'm an advocate of "NO Download allowed".

But in case it will be allowed make it OFF by default. You MUST turn
it ON in your app.yaml. This way the behavior is compatible with
previous versions. And there is no action needed by the people who
don't want it. There is always a gap between the time you roll it out
and you announce the availability of a new release on the production
servers. During this time it would be possible to download the source
code if you tried regularly.
And I could be away at the moment of the announcement and leave a door
wide open for quite some time.