I like to think of a web host and version control as 2 completely
separate entities.  I am opposed to the idea of baking the two into
one.

It would be neat to see Google Code allow projects that are hosted on
app engine to be private and then add a version control client to the
SDK.

I understand that Google code does not plan on allowing private
projects, but I would have to think there is potential there to use
their infrastructure for a private vcs of App Engine projects.  Google
developers put their code into a private vcs somewhere!?!?