There is an even worse problem with a password compromise:

1) Malicious user gets your pw
2) Malicious user downloads your existing codebase
3) Malicious user makes subtle change - say, funneling sensitive data
to external site
4) Malicious user uploads this over running version

This would be almost impossible to detect.  At least with the source
code separate, a malicious hacker has to either 1) re-implement enough
of the site to make it convincing, or 2) figure out the actual code
repository and credentials separately.

Honestly, I think this code download idea is unwise.  Yes, it will
quiet down all the clueless folks that didn't back up their code, but
let's be realistic - these are not people who are serious about
software development and they are unlikely to be the ones building
apps that will ultimately generate revenue for appengine.  GAE is not
google sites, you don't need to cater to the idiot 20%.

Jeff