Actually I did a test on this this morning, it looks as though the
docs are wrong.  In my tests I *always* got a user_id, even when using
non-google providers.  Can a Googler please verify this / fix the
docs?

What I have been doing in my own apps, and what others have mentioned,
the best way is going to be relying on the fact you control part of
the process.  You will be the one who constructs the login url:
   "https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/site-xrds?hd="; + apps_domain

Just make sure you don't design your app such that I can somehow
submit a different OpenID url.

Robert