I have built a set of websites on GAE.  ePaymentExpress.net is the
"home" site, with links to eTicketExpress.com , eRegisterExpress.com
and eFundraiserExpress.com .  They all use Python/Django and Google
Checkout for online payments.  We are currently running two school
plays with assigned seating (choose your seats from the seating
chart), a swim challenge (record your distance every day this month)
and an online auction (make bids on products, like eBay).  We are
ready to scale up and run hundreds of events simultaneously.