Yes. Yes. Yes.

Greg's many statements alluding to Google's good intentions, the basis
for trust is shared motivations.

App Engine has always has a perverse incentive system -- both old and
new pricing as far as I can tell.

There is no incentive for them to invest in infrastructure (makes
systems faster, costs go up, revenues go down).

The incentive system is really the opposite -- push performance down
to maximize revenues and minimize costs, but not past the point where
users accepted the marginal costs of jumping to AWS, Azure, etc.

I'd like to see some cost born by GAE due to lack of investment. Given
the new "spin up so we can charge you more" pricing, certainly the cpu
costs for spin-ups (previously born by the developer) should now be
paid by GAE.

At the least some "share the pain" component will help me (a person
with a very cynical view of product pricing based on many years of
doing it for large corps).

I'm guessing, though, that finance will look askance. Better to lock-
in, and maximize revenues. May have express good intentions now, but I
guarantee its been discussed in some high-level finance meeting
already.

HP did it. MSFT did it. Leads to ossification of invention, however,
because ultimately revenue and profit drive decisions not marginal
return on next investment dollar (i.e. the market rewards growth, not
profits, just ask MSFT, but mgmt ultimately only worries about share
price next quarter).

However, as a friend of mine who works for MSFT said recently, there
are only really three viable companies right now who understand scale
at the level needed for PaaS: Amazon, MSFT, and Google. (FB obviously
the fourth, but they have too many growth opportunities to worry about
much else). So we are going to get hegemony, and implicit pricing
collusion. That's how this market's going to work. Hopefully not the
the extent that InkJet abused its consumer base.

Cheers,
stevep