Hi Joshua,

Yes, you can have reference (look up fields), which can have a drop down (if
there are limited values, else a pop-up) based on another record-type in the
database. You can have a look here..
http://help.creator.ifreetools.com/p/defining-attributes-or-fields.html#Adding
Lookup (Reference) field

Even if you are not going to use iFreeTools for this project, it is fine.
Hope to win you over some other time.

By the way, Python is what is being for my app.. it was the only option
available when I got started with GAE, so I had to pick it up (after over 8
years in Java world), but now have no plans to go back to Java. I just love
the Python.

There are some other aspects which you will have to consider. One.. the
start up time for Java apps can be a bit slower, so you may have pay for
some warm instances ready to serve requests. Another quick point is Python
on GAE currently does not have multi-threading and the proposed pricing
changes (at least, in my opinion) gives an unfair advantage to Java apps.
The currently suggested remedy is to make use of half-priced instances. That
would be okay if Java instances were to process at most 2 threads
concurrently, which I believe will not be the case. So, I am somewhat uneasy
to have made the Python choice post the new pricing proposals, but hope
things will be set right before it actually comes into effect.

Thanks & Regards,
Raj