I wanted to post a followup for those following this thread

Well as I mentioned before, we moved away from blocking entire IP
blocks to just blocking user agents like DOTS which was effective
until today.  Now it seems that from the IP's that DOTs is
originating, this project (or another) has resorted to completely
stripping the user agent in an attempt to bypass these blocks.  I fail
to understand why this is occurring and why does Google tolerate
activity such as what is reported in the links above and as I have
described here?  We have seen this activity thus far on

74.125.52.*
and
74.125.126.*

Now due to this, we have to resort back to IP blocking.......

Taking this along with the other issues, I guess it just makes things
a bit frustrating due to the fact there is a bit of a lack of
transparency as to what exactly is going on and why the cloak and
dagger with these bots/projects/etc from Google IP addresses.