I love Google and app engine was the best choice for our free iphone
applications (over 100K users in our GAE databases), but now our costs are
jumping from $0.20 to $4.51 per day and we simply can't afford it.  We don't
have the resources to port everything to a new backend (we are both grad
students) and because of this are forced to shut down all of our
applications.  We couldn't have anticipated this high jump in CPU time cost.
 While I'm sure we could optimize the code to use the new pricing model it
takes time we don't have and who knows where the next hike will be.  I'm
sure this was done to more accurately model the cost of the resources
consumed; however, that is something that could have been better expressed
earlier in the 3 year relationship we had with GAE (we were using this
before billing was even available).